Monday, January 22, 2007

The First Week

The first week was filled with lots of excitment, curiosity, exploring, and a few kinks along the way. This entry along with the next few entries will describe a series of events from my first week here.


The Arrival:

After a 6 hour flight to London and another 1.5 hour flight from there, my dad and I finally landed in Barcelona, Spain on January 5, 2007. It took forever to get the taxi driver to understand where we needed to go, but finally we reached my studio so I could pick up my apartment keys and then arrived at my building. It's right on Gran Via, one of the main thoroughfares of Barcelona.

I learned that I was the last of the girls to arrive which also meant I got the smallest room. (However, it also had the biggest closet! So needless to say I was fine with the arrangement.) The apartment is small, but it has 4 bedrooms, 1 full bath, 1 powder room, a full kitchen, a living and dining space, and a very tiny laundry room. Below are a few pictures, starting with my bedroom.



So that's pretty much it! Like I said, it's simple and small, but so far it's enough space for the 5 of us. I'm living with Gisela Marquez, Victoria Wallace, Billy Bishop, and Sean Owens. All of which have been in the Architecture program at Catholic U since my freshman year.

3 comments:

Auntie Mom said...

If your anything like Samantha when she goes out it is as if a tornado has struck sooo, it's a good thing the place is little so you won't have to mcuh to clean-up!!

carmen perez said...

Monica, we are so proud of you. I love Spain. God willing I will return some day. Monjuic is breath-taking. When you get back I'll show you pictures of your tio Henry at the top of Monjuic surrounded by motor-cycle-riding police officers that he befriended. The pictures of Andalucia made tia Lucy and me so nostalgic. Granada was my favorite. The Alhambra is beyond words. I am sure you've experienced this and so much more. Two weeks for us were incredible, I can only imagine how it must be to actually live and saturate yourself with the culture. Well, Mija keep doing what you are doing because we all live vicariously through you. Love you, take care, study hard and all those things that we tias say. bye

Henry Perez said...

Although I will deny that Cabezon in the picture is a blood relative...Barcelona was a wonderful experience that I will remember for a long time. It makes me happy that your are furthering your education, but remember that the best lessons in life do not always comes from books. Love and kisses your favorite uncle, Keekaleens